"The Economy is sinking and so will your business" or "How to offend potential clients":

A real life email interaction with a Richmond area florist (with some obvious deletions and name changes for privacy):

Me: Hi Florist! I am getting married next year at The Jefferson Hotel in Richmond. I have seen some of your work on blogs, and when my parent's next door neighbors recommended your work at their wedding I though I should contact you! I was wondering what the process is for learning more about your work. Thanks so much for your time!

Florist: Hi LG! Thanks for contacting me and congrats on your engagement and please tell me who your parents next door neighbors are....[goes on like this for a bit]. Are you in Richmond or do we need to do a phone consultation...also...could you let me know what your floral budget is....thanks LG and be sure to check out my blog [insert blog here].

Me: Hi Florist! [Name of next door neighbors, number of bridesmaids, other info.] Anyway, do you think you would be able to work within a $9 to $10 budget? [obviously made up numbers]

Florist: Hi LG. My minimum budget is $13. I know I wouldn't be able to design beautiful florals for you for $10. Do you want me to suggest other floral vendors for you that may be able to work with your budget?

Me: Hi Florist, I have actually talked to a few other florists who work in the $10 range [blah blah blah] Thank you-

Florist: You are very welcome...good luck with everything and please check out my blog for lots of inspiration!

Ummmmm, okay. Maybe my "discount" florist can use your ideas. And maybe you could have told me you don't get out of bed for $13 a day up front. Who are you, Linda Evangelista?

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

go to the grocery store and find a fabulous florist there! hehe!

Still irritated (mom) said...

I wonder if it's occured to her yet that we could use her blog for "inspiration". There were so many other ways she could have handled this...especially since florists in Richmond are either consolidating, struggling, or going out of business. Maybe she is the Linda Evangelista of the floral world.

Anonymous said...

May I suggest Flowers Make Scents in Midlothian? They did the flowers for my wedding. They were incredibly beautiful, we received SO many compliments on the floral design, and they were really reasonably priced!