Sunday Night Ribs

Last night was a very successful meal at home, thanks to My Mama Made That from the Junior League of Hampton Roads.  This is far and away my favorite cookbook of the moment.  Everything is delicious, easy, and recognizable.  Some of the recipes may be things that you ate growing up but don't quite know how to make yourself.  Something I have noticed is that while Junior League cookbooks from the 80's have things I want to make, the ingredients are often outdated or unavailable in New York (Old English Cheese Spread?).  On the other hand, newer cookbooks often call for a loooong list of ingredients that I may not have in the kitchen and am unlikely to use again anytime soon.  My Mama Made That is the perfect solution- classic southern family recipes, slightly updated for the modern cook.


Half eaten ribs, roasted potatoes, baked vidalia onion.

Oven Baked Ribs (a summary)

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Put boneless beef short ribs in a shallow dish.  Cover with tin foil and bake for an hour.
  • Cover with barbecue sauce of your choice (I used bottled, but the cookbook has a recipe that I'll try next time).  Bake for another hour, still covered.
  • Remove tin foil.  Bake for 30 minutes, turning ribs and basting with sauce occasionally.

I can't wait to make these during football season.  Delicious!

1 comment: