Distracted by Irene

Farrell and I have been glued to the hurricane coverage today.  With family and friends up and down the east coast and the crazy possibility of a NYC evacuation, we can't turn away.  However, I did take a little time to make my weekly blueberry and peach crumble, adapted from this Barefoot Contessa Recipe.  Here are the differences between her recipe and mine:

For the fruit:
  • 1/4 cup of sugar instead of a 1/2 cup (which I found to be too sweet)
  • About two tablespoons of brown sugar
  • A good sprinkling of cinnamon
For the crumble (I completely scratched her crumble- it seems like a lot of work):
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • Whatever amount of butter you like, cubed (I probably use about two tablespoons)
  • More cinnamon if you like
Mash the crumble ingredients all together with a fork/potato masher/whatever works and sprinkle on top of the fruit.  Here are some pictures of the deliciousness in progress.


I just bake in a regular dish.
Now, back to the news.

2 comments:

PATER FAMILIAS said...

Lauren.....sounds YUMMY....can hardly wait to try!Two questions...how much fruit....oven temp and amount of fruit?? MJE(David J.'s grandmother)

LG said...

About six peaches and a cup of berries. The neat trick from the original recipe is boiling the peaches for 30-60 seconds (then dump them in ice water). The skins practically slide off. I cook at 350 for about 45 minutes.