Double Your Fun

In September I will be attending a wedding over Labor Day Weekend. Unofficial festivities start Friday night. The wedding party will be playing golf and that sort of thing on Saturday. Then, the Rehearsal Dinner is Saturday evening and the wedding is Sunday evening. This will be the second year in a row that I will go to a wedding on Labor Day Weekend, and I love it. I don't have to take time off work, and Monday is open for relaxing.

However, Farrell and I have heard some negative comments about weddings on official holidays, so I was wondering what people think about this practice. Is it convenient for everyone, or a violation of what should be family time? Is there a distinction between holiday type? For example, is it more acceptable to do this on a government holiday than a religious holiday? What about weddings on New Year's Eve? Let us know what you think. - LG

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lot of the negativity that I hear about holiday weekend weddings is how expensive travelling is.

bonjourdetroit said...

I don't necessarily love holiday weekend weddings. Due to the fact that both my fiance and I live out of town for our families, we really like to be able to go see them for the extended weekends. But what can you do...

I think government holidays (i.e. presidents' day, MLK, Columbus, etc.) aren't good weekends to have weddings, since a lot of businesses, like my firm, don't close for the holiday. Younger people can't get the time off because those with more seniority want to be gone with their families and kids who are off school.

MC said...

Bad holiday weddings I have been to include Saturday after Thanksgiving and December 23. Seriously, who gets married on Christmas Eve Eve. And of course the colors were red and green.

Anonymous said...

I think weddings on holiday weekends are annoying. I have been to weddings on almost every holiday and even had to deal with one once on the Fourth of July where my boyfriend was invited, but I was not. That was a great way to spend the fourth! I think that the bride and groom sometime get so wrapped up in what they want, like fireworks in the background, that they don't realize that by having a wedding on a holiday weekend they are not only possibly forcing their guests to miss other activities they might want to participate in, but are also increasing the cost of hotels and traffic for their guests!

Anonymous said...

I think it is rude. My husband's friend is getting married on New Year's Eve this year. He wanted to know why we were not going to be coming to the week long festivities that coincide with the event because the bride is Jewish/Moroccan. I was honestly very offended that he would expect us to cancel our family's Christmas beach vacation to spend in Newark, NJ for his wedding. Not right.