Black Velvet

This weekend I discovered my new favorite thing- a champagne bar. In the past, I have always been a big fan of the shrimp and grits bar at major functions, but I think I have moved on to a good champagne bar. This one featured Mimosas, Bellinis and and Black Velvets. For those of you not in the know (and I certainly wasn't), a Black Velvet is a 50-50 mix of champagne and Guinness. (Proportions seem to vary- some recipes call for a 3-1 mix.) According to The Guinness Collectors Club, this drink was invented as a mourning beverage after the death of Prince Albert of England in the 19th century. The drink received a thumbs up from the majority of the young men in attendance, and I would venture to say it also received one from many of their wives. After all, a Black Velvet is a bit lighter than a bourbon and Coke. - LG

No comments: