Drive My Car....

So, having grown up in a laid-back beach community, I am not exactly what you would call an aggressive driver. My only traffic altercation came when encouraged by a passenger in the Passat to make an illegal u-turn, resulting in a “warning” ticket. I come from the school of using your turn signal, letting other drivers in, and – perhaps most importantly – the courtesy wave. Upon moving to DC, I came to learn very quickly that not everyone adopted the same train of thought when it comes to operating their vehicles. I thought it was an unwritten rule that if someone lets you in on the highway, or even if you cut them of, you give them a quick flash of the hand as a friendly acknowledgement., but apparently city-drivers missed that lesson in driver’s ed class. I still make a point of implementing the courtesy wave whenever deemed appropriate and today on the Beltway I experienced it from another driver for the first time in months! I was pleasantly surprised at this relative civility on a normally hostile roadway….until I realized that the driver’s license plate indicated that they weren’t even from the DC area. Nevertheless, I am going to continue to wage my campaign to bring the courtesy wave to the roadways nationwide, and encourage you to join!
fls

1 comment:

MC said...

You have to wave, it's an essential element of driving.